cfr magazine

A home to latest news on politics, entertainment, sports, technology, education, business and zeeworld movie series

Saturday 23 July 2016

MUNICH SHOOTING: 10 Dead Including Iranian Gunman & 20 Injured After Shopping Mall Attack

Inside the mall
POLICE have revealed the gunman who killed nine people and injured at least 20 others at a Munich shopping mall is an 18-year-old German of Iranian descent.

Munich Police Chief Hubertus Andrae revealed the teenage mass murderer had joint German and Iranian citizenship and was not previously known to police.


Federal officers said 10 people are dead and 20 critical after the horror shooting which prompted the city to declare a state of emergency – police confirm children are among the dead.

One of the bodies recovered is that of the shooter, who killed himself after going on a deadly rampage inside the bustling Olympia shopping mall and outside a nearby McDonalds.

German media has claimed a robot and explosives experts are currently searching the gunman's body, which has been found "with a red backpack" about 1km from the mall.

Initial reports claimed there were three gunmen, but officers have now said there was just one deranged terrorist responsible for the massacre and that he was not previously known to police.

Munich shopping centrePH
There are a number of deaths reported at the scene

Munich's main railway station has been evacuated and rail travel and local public transport in the area has been stopped, according to Bavarian radio station Antenne Bayern.

German magazine Focus has reported one gunman may have been carrying explosives.

Members of Germany's elite anti-terrorism force are on their way to the scene of the deadly shooting.

One mall employee trapped inside the centre said: ”Many shots were fired, I can't say how many but it's been a lot."All the people from outside came streaming into the store and I only saw one person on the ground who was so severely injured that he definitely didn't survive.

"We have no further information, we're just staying in the back in the storage rooms. No police have approached us yet."

A second shooting was reported in Stachus Square, however it has now been confirmed shots were only fired at the mall. 


Culled from Express.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment