cfr magazine

A home to latest news on politics, entertainment, sports, technology, education, business and zeeworld movie series

Friday, 15 July 2016

'60 dead' after Truck Crashes Into Crowd At Bastille Day Celebrations In France

A truck has deliberately ploughed into crowds celebrating France's national day in a terror attack – killing at least 60 people and injuring 100. 

The truck rammed into the crowd at high speed on the Promenade des Anglais seaside walk in the centre of Nice in France, regional newspaper Nice Matin reported, citing its own reporter at the scene.


The crowd had been in good sprits as they enjoyed the Bastille Day celebrations.

The nightmarish attack on a city popular with British holiday makers – and hosted England Euro 2016 two weeks ago – is the deadliest since the Brussels attack in March where 32 died.

Witnesses said the truck, picked up speed and mounted the pavement for 100 metres.

The driver has been shot dead by police and windows of the truck are peppered with bullet holes.

French TV channel BFM said President Francois Hollande was returning to Paris from the city of Avignon to hold a crisis meeting at the Interior Ministry.

People in Nice are being told to stay inside and limit phone calls.

Up to 60 people have been killed, French TV channel BFM TV said.

Unconfirmed reports are coming through of a hostage situation at the Meridian Hotel.

Bodies could be seen lying on the floor by the beach, as the police and other emergency services tried to deal with a mass panic. 


Culled from Daily Star UK

No comments:

Post a Comment