Amnesty International (AI) on Friday asked the Federal government to probe the army for allegedly gunning down unarmed people ahead of last month’s planned pro-Biafran commemoration events in Onitsha, Anambra State.
The rights group said in a report that evidence it gathered from eyewitnesses, morgues and hospitals confirmed that between 29-30 May, soldiers opened fire on members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), supporters and bystanders at three locations in the town.
It said the exact number of deaths was unknown, partly due to the fact that the army took away corpses and the injured.
The army, in a swift reaction, dismissed the allegation as nothing more than an unverified claim.
The deputy director of Army Public Relations, Col. H.A.Gambo, said Amnesty was simply out to discredit the force.
The rights watchdog, in its report, said: “Some of the dead and injured IPOB supporters seen by an Amnesty researcher were shot in the back, an indication that they were fleeing the scene when they were shot.”
It quoted its Nigeria’s Country Director, M. K. Ibrahim as saying: “Opening fire on peaceful IPOB supporters and bystanders who clearly posed no threat to anyone is an outrageous use of unnecessary and excessive force and resulted in multiple deaths and injuries. In one incident one person was shot dead after the authorities burst in on them while they slept.
“These shootings, some of which may amount to extra judicial executions, must be urgently and independently investigated and anyone suspected of criminal responsibility must be brought to justice.”
The leadership of IPOB claimed more than 50 of their members were killed.
The army had said in a statement that they acted in self-defence and that five IPOB members were killed.
The Nation
Friday 10 June 2016
Amnesty International Asks Nigerian Government To Probe The Killing Of IPOB Supporters
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment